Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 May 1997 21:50:16 EDT
> But.....what things like "reply" and "reply all" do also depends on what
> mail system you're using.  I get list mail on MailBook 96(IBM mainframe),
> GroupWise 4.1 (Novell Win95), and EudoraPro3.0.1.  Each of them reacts
> somewhat differently to what they call "reply" and "reply all" (though they
> don't all even use that terminology...the last two do, the first doesn't).
> So, listserv is only part of the equation....and there's nothing you can do
> about that one.

I suggest taking every opportunity to ask email client vendors for better
reply options than just "reply" and "reply all".  An email client should
make it easy to reply to the addresses in any or all of the headers of
a message (plus other addresses too).  The Reply-to header is the sender's
suggestion about where replies should be sent, but it is only a suggestion.
The person composing the reply is the best judge of where a reply should
be sent, as only they know what they are putting into the reply.