Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:48:47 CST
On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 09:32:01 -0700 (PDT), "Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]> said:
>The burden on the listowner is the managing of the NOMAIL subscribers.
>Many list owners will not even know to check.  Those that learn about
>nomail will mostly not manage them... so they can build up over time.

So what?  ...That's my point...  Why should the list owner bother to
"manage" them?  What's so terrible if the list owner just ignores them
entirely?  You keep stating that this is a problem, but you don't say
WHY it's a problem...

>It is not a critical issue; but I think for a well-run list, it is a good
>thing to manage.

But WHY???  What problem are you trying to solve here?

>                                Since the heartbeat would go out less
>often than regular mail, perhaps once a week or once a month, the
>auto-deletion algorithm might have to be modified in this case.

It just seems like you're asking for a whole lot of "development" work
to be done to solve a non-problem...  It seems to me the developers'
time can be better spent solving real problems...

Bill