"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:03:51 -0500
>After getting tired of weeding through a lot of error messages, I recently
>set my e-mail filters to automatically trash any incoming message with
>From: containing "L-Soft" and Subject: containing "error report" or
>"monitoring report".
>
>All my list headers have:
>
>* Renewal=         2-Monthly,Delay(7),Probe
>* Auto-Delete=     Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(5),Max(5)
>
>Am I running any risks or creating any problems for myself with this
>approach?  What message of importance might come in that I would miss?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-- John

Supposing somebody has an autoresponder program running for when they are
out of town.  They will definitely generate lots of error reports because
duplicate postings, even if from two different addresses (as witnessed by
my list in the early days when we were taking a "Yes/No" vote on
something) causes an error report to be generated.  If your list is also
set up to bounce back error reports to the sender, you are setting
yourself up for some serious problems with mail loops.

Glenn