Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:43:52 -0500
On 7/28/2004 7:41 AM, Pete Weiss wrote:

> Adding to what Paul has said ..
>
> If one uses the WEB interface, the WELCOME file template web page can be
> bookmarked for even easier updating in the future.

Both Pete and I are assuming that the web interface is enabled on your
LISTSERV server.

The simplest way to create and maintain a welcome message is to use the
list management web page. It eliminates the need to retrieve, update,
and replace listname.filelist. But it does not matter whether you use
email or the web to create and maintain the welcome message; either way,
the welcome message is stored as listname.welcome. Consequently, once you
have created a welcome message, a subscriber can use the GET command to
retrieve a new copy of the welcome message, and the list owner can use
the GIVE command to send someone a new copy of the welcome message.

If you replaced the $SIGNUP template with your welcome message, this will
not work, because the content of the $SIGNUP template is not stored in
listname.welcome.