Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:51:41 -0500
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, W Schipper wrote:

> Steve Howie writes:
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, W Schipper wrote:
> >
> > > But was it really necessary to include all 27 pages of addresses this
> > > person tried to subscribe to?
> > >

> > If you want to find out if your site was on the hit list, then yes - I
> > suppose it was necessary.
> >

> But if it was, then you'd already know, wouldn't you?  It might have
> been equally informative to post only the name of the offending spammer,
> instead of forcing someone to scroll through all 27 pages until the end
> of the message.

Well, no - I was unaware of this attack until I checked the Listserv logs
and found the attack taking place at 6:30 last night. Lucky the person who
initiated the attack was so stupid they didn't know the correct syntax for
the SUBSCRIBE command.

Regardless, make sure you have the "Confirm" option on "Subscription=
Open"  lists!!!! This will go a long way toward preventing unwanted
subscription requests like those attempted by that idiot.

Scotty
Steve Howie                     email: [log in to unmask]
Netnews and Listserv Admin      fax:   (519) 763-6143
University of Guelph            phone: (519) 824-4120 x2556

If it's not Scottish its CRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP