Jane Lyle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:48:51 -0500
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Don Wiss wrote:

> Jane Lyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Many of our home.com addresses are doing the same thing. At least twenty
> >of them are well over the limit at which Listserv usually deletes them;
> >two of the addresses now have more than 700 bounces. At some point I
> >expect to see them all suddenly disappear--and good riddance!
>
> I don't understand why the good riddance. It isn't your subscribers' fault
> that their ISP went bankrupt.

I meant good riddance to the numerous home.com addresses that are still
showing up on the error report every day even though they've logged
hundreds of errors above our 75-error limit. Between those and the shaw.ca
addresses, which continue to generate occasional errors every day, the
last few daily reports have been several screens long.

> I sent in change commands for all my bouncing @home's and changed them to
> @attbi.com. All of the changes took. The subscribers appreciated me doing
> this.

We changed those who asked to be changed. We warned our home.com
subscribers early on--when reports of problems began to surface--that they
might need to find other ISPs if they didn't want to get cut off from the
list. (A large percentage of our subscribers are freelance editors and
writers, and for many of them the list is a lifeline of sorts.) Quite a
few of them switched to shaw.ca and rogers.com. But none of the currently
bouncing addresses are regular contributors, so if they aren't missing the
list mail after hundreds of missed posts, I don't think that either my
co-owner or I want to manually change all twenty-plus of them.

We do manually resubscribe all our shaw.ca subscribers as soon as Listserv
deletes them. I probably will jinx us all by saying this, but the shaw.ca
bounces seem to have slowed.

Jane