John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:22:49 -0500
> I've received an error message for one of our lists that says an error
> occurred while logging mail to the archives.  The list is being held 'to
> prevent further occurrences'.  I've not come across this before, and can't
> find anything in the on-line manual.  Does anyone know why this might have
> occurred, and whether it is ok to just free the list?

Generally it doesn't hurt to FREE a list any time, especially if you
aren't concerned with the messages which are held being distributed. If
the problem which caused it in the first place persists, the list will get
held again as soon as you FREE it.  That's why most just FREE it a second
time, to see if it gets held again. (This is opposed to waiting for the
notice or looking in the LISTSERV log.)

I suspect you have a corrupt digest. To fix this, just add/change your
list header to include this:

Digest= No
Be sure to PUT or Update the header.

This will delete the digest. Then FREE the list, then FREE it again to be
sure it wasn't held for some other reason. Once everything looks fine,
change the Digest= back to what you had originally.

I notice LISTSERV is trying to log the archives to:
C:\listserv\MAIN\HLTHPROM-RESOURCES.LOG0302C

So I assume you have Notebook= Yes,A, ..... , .....

"A" being a logical filemode defined in LISTSERV's site configuration
which points to the directory where LISTSERV keeps its internal files.
This of course is C:\listserv\main in your case.   I know L-Soft strongly
discourages (for good reason) the use of logical filemodes for the "where"
parameter of the Notebook= keyword after 1.8c, primarily for security
reasons, but also to keep things orderly.  A full path is always
preferred, and each list should imperatively have its own subdirectory.
The most commonly used is  Notebook= Yes,x:\lists\listname, ... , ....

I also see you are using an old build of 1.8d. You should upgrade to the
2000b level set at least, if not 1.8e.  See
http://www.lsoft.com/news/default.asp?item=advisory1
for more information.