Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 1997 09:50:10 EDT
No, but if you do a SEARCH of the list's archives you will find that each
posting does have a unique number.  You can refer people to posting number
xxxx and tell them they can get it with the "GETPOST listname xxxx" command
(sent to LISTSERV@your host).

Note however that if you delete archives or physically edit the archive
files, these numbers may not always remain the same.  I would say it might
be better to refer people to postings by subject and/or author, then you
can do things like

// SEARCH * IN listname WHERE (SUBJECT CONTAINS subject-string) AND ,
   (SENDER CONTAINS author-string)

You can also do this kind of search from the web archive interface.