John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:41:15 -0400
> This is a "hmmm" type question.  Why does "whois" say there is no
> match for  listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu or for the IP 128.205.7.35 ?

I believe Whois only checks A records, not CNAMES. If you do not have an A
record for the Listserv machine this may be the problem if her system uses
sendmail. Listserv recommends A records only for the Listserv machine.

Something Ben Parker posted recently:
"L-Soft's recommendation is to make an A record for the name of the LISTSERV
machine.  This allows both mail and the WWW interface to work correctly.
CNAMES are specifically recommended against since most sendmail servers
handling your mail will rewrite the domain name to the truename (A record),
confusing everyone.

There is no restriction that says there can be only one A record per IP address."