Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:44:25 -0500
At 02:50 PM 10/07/1999 -0400, Paul Shapiro sent this:
>How do I customize the Welcome message that each subscriber gets when
>signing on for the first time?

Send your Welcome message to your listserver's (command) address with this line as its first line:

  PUT <listname> WELCOME PW=<yourpassowrd>
  [Welcome text starts on this line.]

>I tried what I thought was the documentation about how to do that, but when
>the time came to do something I was told I had the wrong password just
>after having been successfully logged in with the correct (?) password.

I sounds like you may not have gotten yourself a *LISTSERV* password. It is not used to "log in". That's the system password, the one that gets you onto the net.

Here's how to get a LISTSERV password. Send this message to your listserver's address:

  PW ADD YourDesiredPassword

When you get the acknowledgement that it has been accepted, then send your Welcome message.

Ed Paynter