Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 12:54:32 -0500
On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 19:49:07 -0400, David McKnew wrote:
>...various trade publications have been printing articles
>about this new online service and have been quoting word for word various
>emails that have been coming across my list. They have not been mentioning
>Where these messages have been coming from only from the internet.
>
>1. Should they be getting my permission to print these article from me or the
>author     who writes them or both?

First, shouldn't you be asking an attorney who specializes in copyright?
I'm NOT a lawyer, so take my input for what it's worth (legally, not a
thing :-)

The LONG STANDING tradition of the Internet is that unless you go to
extraordinary means to insure otherwise ANYTHING posted to ANY list is in
the PUBLIC DOMAIN (so far as I know, this one has never been subjected to a
court test; if you have deep pockets and desire LOTS of publicity, maybe
you could take it on).

>2. Shouldnt they give the list some sort of credit or acknowlegment of where
>these articles have come from which is more specific to my list.

A POLITE note to editors might result in your getting credit.  If what you
are after is greater notoriety for your service, then it probably will be
more productive to observe the old proverb about attracting more bees with
honey than with vinegar

>3. Can I secure the name of my list legally somehow so no one else can use
>it.

Probably.  Consult an attorney about copyrighting the list name.  HOWEVER,
that type of copyright probably will have NO effect on getting your list
service cited when material is republished.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html