Mon, 30 Dec 1996 08:29:48 -0500
At 08:24 PM 12/29/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, Mario is another one....no surprise.  I'm also the email canary for
>Boise State University where I spend time working as Asst Postmaster and
>Network Info Coord.  The PM has most of his stuff autodeleted so I'm the
>main canary.  And as I own lists both at IDBSU and at other sites (UGA,
>american.edu, etc.), I also end up monitoring other parts of net traffic.
>If the other net folks in the Computer Center hear from me that the SMTP
>gateway is hosed, etc, etc, they know it is true.  No one else may have
>complained yet, since there are MANY reasons that the average user may not
>get mail for six or more hours.  But if I don't something is genuinely
broken.

Reminds me when I first got to this office two years ago. Within six months
I was on a lot of mailing lists, and realized I was the office canary.
Unfortunately, the sysadmin didn't think so for a long time, so when I went
to him asking him to contact our smtp gateway because I hadn't gotten mail
in twelve hours, he'd drag his feet until *he* was convinced something was
wrong (often more than a day). So I'd end up with several hundred messages
to wade through...

Philo
Philo                          ||
[log in to unmask]                || Due to a system error,
2E GULC          <*>           || Eudora cannot display a .sig
http://www.radix.net/~philo    ||