Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 May 1997 16:00:58 EDT
> What does it mean when you get an error message such as the one below?
> Many of these come from active posters to the list.
>
> "The enclosed mail file has been identified as a delivery error for list
> XXXXX-L because it was sent to the reserved 'owner-xxxxx-l' mailbox."
>
> Evelyn Henry

That's the address that error messages about undeliverable mail are to
be sent.  If you see normal posts mixed in with the error messages it's
likely because the poster is using a mail system that makes it easy to
reply to the wrong address.  One common one is Microsoft Mail with the
Microsoft SMTP Gateway, but I've also seen it with other systems, such
as cc:Mail.

If this is a major problem for your list, you might consider setting
Safe=No in your list header.  This causes the address for error
messages to be the list itself.  It depends on LISTSERV's filters
(which are very good) to keep error messages from being distributed to
the list and starting a mail loop.  It's a tradeoff -- accepting the
chance of a mail loop in exchange for fewer misdirected replies.