Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:20:18 -0500
At 12:16 11/17/2004 Wednesday, Paul Russell wrote:
>To implement confirmation on posting, simply add ',confirm' to the 'Send='
>keyword statement in your list header. When the server receives a message
>for the list address, it will send a confirmation request (Did you really
>send this?) to the sender address. If the recipient of the confirmation
>request responds in an affirmative manner, the message is distributed to
>the list subscribers.

In my former "life" [job] we have used this technique very effectively.

For announce-only lists, there are stronger techniques that involve
default-options= NOPOST, as well as the BAD_CONTENT template for the list
(that sometimes spoofs the list-owner).

Further, when there are multiple moderators (as opposed to editors), it
may be that you would like for all moderators to be notified of the
attempted post and for any of them to be able to approve it.

Why? ...

because sometimes the authorized poster is unable to immediately respond
to a confirmation request and the other moderators can do so on their behalf.

/Pete Weiss,
semi-retired