Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 19:56:57 -0500
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Susan King wrote:

> Yesterday we had two digests in which we have innumerable complaints regarding
> them being cut off...
> I found the culprits.. but it was simply "." in the two files.. where they
> don't belong..
> Aha... is that a problem with some newsreaders... it won't accept a single ".
>  on a line...

Yes, that's it.  The "." on a line by itself (left column) is used by a
number of unix systems to mean "end-of-file". so anything after it is
assumed to be junk and is ignored.  This is an occasional problem and
unless you are willing to process all messages to alter such things (a lot
of work) you just have to live with it.

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) ......... [log in to unmask]