"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:17:17 -0700
Is there a way to truncate messages to a list.  Lets say I want a list
that distributed only the first 20 lines of any message that came in.
Is there a way to do this, or an 'exit' that can be written to do that?
If so, how does one create such an exit?

The Sizelim keyword can be used, to reject messages that are too long.
The overly long message then goes back to the person who posted the
message with an appropriate error message.  But I don't want to do that
- I want to accept the message, and just truncate it to some value.

I suppose the exit is the only way, as listserv is not allowed to modify
the message itself according to some RFC.  I never understood that part
though, because it is not listserv that is 'responsible' for the
truncation, it is the list owner that configured the list that way.
At least that is how it seems to me.

Kevin

Kevin J. Sinclair
San Carlos, California USA