Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:58:34 EDT
On Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:27:20 -0400 Perry Lucas said:
>I had this same problem with a user to one of my lists not too long ago.  The
>Listserv software stores all list addresses after the @ in upper case.  I
>contacted Lsoft about this, and was told that there would be no fix for this
>because the offending site was using none standard software.

That's correct.  According the pertinent RFC's, everything to the right of
the "@" character is supposed to be case-insensitive, meaning that the
user's local SMTP server is not compliant with the standards.  It shouldn't
care whether the hostname comes in uppercase, lowercase, or mixed case.

>If there is a way to get the Listserv to store the email address in lower
>case, I would love to know so this user can get his email from the list
>for free again.

But the practical solution is for the user's site to install a compliant
SMTP server that will not bounce the upper-case hostname.  There are
plenty of free or almost-free SMTP servers available that work properly.
This then becomes a question of the host site's willingness to operate
a compliant site, not a question of whether or not L-Soft should hack
LISTSERV so it works with clearly broken mail software.

Nathan