Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Oct 1992 15:28:31 MST
On Fri, 23 Oct 1992 02:27:18 EDT Roger Burns said:
>I'm on the verge of linking my list to a USENET newsgroup, at the request
>of several subscribers -- we've discussed this on my list.
>I've been warned about how the nature of our list discussions may
>change and that there may be troublesome flames, etc.  With this
>in mind, I'm thinking of setting up some simple rules for the
>list (which is and shall remain unmoderated).

I own five lists which are gatewayed to bit.listserv.listname

NONE of them have been any trouble in that respect.  Four are library/
technical in nature, one is a hobby list.  I know I can delete the
Usenet link as quickly as any other subscriber in case I have problems,
but they just have not arisen.  My experience is that the 'jerks' on
Usenet hangout on a few newsgroups that cater to that mentality,
and CDROMLAN perhaps just isn't one of them.  Just like a town I used
to live in that had a high crime rate.  Almost ALL of the crime occurred
in one small part of town. I never went there, and never had problems.
Same works for me on Usenet.  8-)

                                 dan

* Dan Lester                          Bitnet:   alileste@idbsu              *
* Associate University Librarian      Internet: [log in to unmask]    *
* Boise State University                                                    *
* Boise, Idaho  83725                 BSU and I have a deal: I don't speak  *
* 208-385-1234                        for them and they don't speak for me. *