James Chamier <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 17:59:53 +0000
The friendly name is the human part not the computer system part.

In your case your email address shows as - Ian Fairclough
<[log in to unmask]> - the "friendly name" is therefore Ian Fairclough

In some systems, often in academia, the email address is some
reference number for the individual. So you used to see quite often
addresses such as  [log in to unmask]  and if they didn't have a
'friendly name' you wouldn't know whom they were. LISTSERV could
therefore add a name, so when the message appeared on the list, it
would show up as Peter Smith <[log in to unmask]>

AOL generally only has addresses and not friendly names, but I thought
their systems had changed in the last 10 years. I'm in the UK and most
of the AOL users moved to other ISPs.