"Erich L. Markert" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:23:38 -0400
John,

I was evaluating several list server packages recently.  Listserv and Lyris were the top
two.  There are alot of similar features between the two as one might expect.  One nicety
that Lyris has over Listserv is a Perl/C->Lyris API that you can use to create your own
applications.

The unlimited purchase price of $3000 was a big draw to Lyris over Listserv.  You need to
ask the next question though.  What about tech support?  Lyris charges $5/minute, that's
right per minute, if you need to talk with someone.

John Witherspoon wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with Lyris (mailing list
> software that functions similar to Listserv).
>
> I have been told by someone who's run lists and administered software on
> both programs that he is more impressed with Lyris.  He claims Lyris is
> more customizable than Listserv, and the Lyris unlimited list, unlimited
> user per list version is only $2995 (one time fee).
>
> He also tells me the next beta of lyris is going to have a "percentage of
> quote rejection" setting on a per list basis.  You can have lyris reject an
> incoming message if it has more than a given percentage of the lines in it
> starting with > - no messages containing 60 lines of quoted material
> followed by "yeah, me too!"  That's certainly something I'd love to see on
> Listserv.
>
> Don't get me wrong -- I am not an unhappy Listserv list owner; I am just
> curious about what others think.
>
> -- John

Mr. Erich L. Markert                 [log in to unmask]
USMA Webmaster                           TEL (914)938-6463
Directorate of Information Management    FAX (914)938-7308
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 10996

"If you put three drops of poison into a 100 percent pure Java,
you get ... Windows. If you put a few drops of Java into Windows,
you still have Windows."
                -- Sun Microsystems CEO, Scott McNealy