Mike Ramundo <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 10:50:03 EST
I was one of the lucky ones who issued SERVE-off command after first
early-morning message arrived.  During day I received approx 42 notices
from my listserv "Mail received from user who has been served out"
as attempted postings to our non-confidential lists arrived.

What confuses me is that I also got (as postmast, from our MAILER ? )
about 35 other items.  When I first entered MAIL, they items showed as

From:                      Subj:                               Size:

actuary@<local listname>   Court Ordered Liquidation - C        129

where <local listname> cycled thru about 15 of our local listnames
with several multiple occurances.  After opening/reading some of
these items, the From/To info sometimes changed to indicate
internet listnames.  Did anyone do a detail dump of the envelope
of any of these postings ?  I mean, while I could see stuff bouncing
to me if UACSC2.albany.edu was used as some kind of gateway, I can't
imagine how a LISTSERV listname could appear as the NODENAME.
( the size ranged from 122-129 based on RECEIVED chain )
( Just worried that someone has come up with trick to automatically
  reroute spamming bounces to non-sender )

- mike

( Unfortunately, all my copies have been deleted - but envelope info
  is removed before item goes into my reader - correct ? )

( I don't really want to spend any time on this, but feel uneasy .... )