"Stephen W. Thompson - U. of Penn." <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 23:34:19 -0500
Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Subject: GET via LB64 ?

> I've been told about how to PUT a wide file by using the LB64.C program.
> Is there any way to GET a wide file via mail, without lines being wrapped?
> I wish there were some similar means to GET a file such as that LB64
> program does for PUT.  (I'd like to GET my FILELIST by mail, edit it, and
> then PUT it back.)

Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> answered:

> Just add F=MIME on your GET request.

Eric's answer is just a *teensy* bit on the terse side, so I'll add a
bit.  Adding "F=MIME" encodes the response into "base64", which sends
binary files using only upper and lower letters, numbers, slash, plus
and equals (true, that's 65 characters, but the '=' is a filler
character to make mail be an even multiple of, if I remember right,
4).

Then you either need a mail reader which can handle MIME or a utility
that can decode the base64 encoding.  (I happen to have both, the
utility being a perl program so it'll work on many platforms.)

But be aware that with many mailers long lines get thru okay, so the
"GET <listname>" output may be delivered intact.  In other cases,
F=LPUNCH will give you something readable if not easily reformatted.
So you may not need to mess with the base64 encoding.  I don't,
especially after we made sure our list header has all lines less than
80 characters.  (I always use "GET <listname> (HEAD", and manipulate
addresses with QUERY, ADD and DEL commands.  So the ONLY time I use
"lb64" is when making changes to the FILELIST.)

En paz,
Steve, Quaker-L & Quaker-P
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236
E-mail (MIME): [log in to unmask] -OR- [log in to unmask]