Sun, 24 Jul 1994 16:46:33 -0400
This is a draft of the letter I'd like to send to list owners who
have their list set up for Subscription=public but Notebooks=private.

A few weeks ago, we discussed this problem and resolved that the
I should write these list owners and state our case the for why they
should change their settings.

I'd like feedback from the group before sending it out.  There are
910 lists which are set up this way.

John Buckman
Logika Inc.

who would like search your archives must first subscribe, then
search, and finally signoff.  Otherwise they will receive an
"access control violation."  In non-technical terms, this means that
a user cannot see what has been discussed on your list without
subscribing.

Since subscription to your list is open, from a security perspective
it does not make sense to have private notebooks.  You are not
gaining any extra security, just causing a little frustration.

I'm asking you to change your LISTSERV list settings to
Notebooks=public.

The reason this issue has come up is because our software makes
database searches very easy to use, where before they were not.  For
instance, you can "Peek" at a list and see topics recently discussed
on your group -- this lets people get an idea what a list is like
before committing to subscribe.   Changing your notebooks to public
also means you will not have people doing the subscribe/signoff dance
in order to do a database search.  This means less junk messages to
you, the list owner, and thus less administrative hassle.

This issue was brought a few weeks ago in the List Owners group
(LSTOWN-L).  The concensus of the list owners was that a letter (this
one) should be mailed to list owners who have subscription=open and
notebooks=private.  People agreed that the change made sense, and
this was the best way to make it happen.

You can write to me, John Buckman, at [log in to unmask], or bring
any issues you would like to discuss to LSTOWN-L.  If you like, I can
send you a document showing how to make the change to your list.

Thanks!

John Buckman