Ronald Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 04:58:30 -0500
I call unmoderated reply to list lists "discussion lists", and reply to sender lists "query lists".

 Lists with greater than  20 or so members are usually suggested set to query lists by default, and members may be asked to summarize responses to interesting questions for other members, invoking curation and potential anonymization of replies..

Ie disclosure of identity in curated replies is not the default, otherwise the person who wants to display identity can reply all instead of a simple reply in the client

If you default to reply to list for large lists that are active, a probe message with a netiquette statement will help reduce the contentless social exchanges (noise) like "right on" "I agree" "thank you" "me too" and catcalls  that can echo endlessly. This is especially true for large mixed audience / lay lists

This is much more instructive especially with potentially sensitive materials

Sent from my iPhone