Fri, 30 Dec 1994 08:10:03 -0600
On Fri, 30 Dec 1994, Jeff Finlay, NYU wrote:
> I installed TOPICs in my list header and today discovered that some
> of my subscribers were set to topics=none, some to topics=all and
> some to the designated topics. It is highly unlikely people would
> have set topics for themselves, as I've never announced it as an
> option and as TOPICs use on the list is very much in an experimental
> phase. How could it happen that listserv would set the topics by itself
> like this?

I don't think LISTSERV is playing tricks on you.  When you change the list
parameters for subscription options it does not affect those already
subscribed, so those would be the Topics= None. Topics=All would be new
subscribers (maybe also those who set themselves nomail and then back to
mail?).  The ones with specific topics are your more sophisticated
subscribers who have looked at the header, seen that you have installed
the Topics keyword, and know what it means and how to change their
options.  Of course, that is rather futile on their part since you haven't
announced the use of Topics so probably no one is putting the keywords in
the subject line, so it's the same as not having Topics at all.  For
Topics to work the subscribers have to know about it and cooperate by
putting the keywords in the subject line, or there is no point to it.

Question for Eric:  In the new LISTKEYW TXT the meaning of the "reserved"
settings for Topic aren't explained.  For example, what is the effect of
having Topics= None in one's personal subscription options, rather than
Topics= All ?  Are the Topics settings linked to the Mail settings?

And I'ld like to see an explanation as to why one shouldn't reorder the
topics and leave a blank in the line if you take one out.  If you install
Topics and then decide it isn't working for your list, is there any
problem with just deleting it from the header?

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner