"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 15:47:00 EST
>On Thu, 8 Dec 1994 09:35 EST, Peter M. Weiss <PMW1@PSUVM> wrote:
>> Depending upon your (old) version of LISTSERV and/or the level of MAILER,
>> non-existent bitnet nodes might not be processed via LISTSERV's auto-
>> delete facility.  Here is one node that no longer exists.  I'm issuing:
>>     QUIET DEL * *@TNEARN
>>for my lists (having confirmed that that node can't be "found").

>Why stop there?  The following posting lists all the "deleted" nodes,
>as of the most-recent monthly-update.

Good Question, but I think I have some good answers: 1) if
LISTSERV will do it for you, why bother?  except for those
(intermediate nodes) where mailers and/or LISTSERV aren't up
to snuf; 2) unless one is careful in their analysis, they
will delete users from nodes that have (or will have) a
:newnode tag; 3) some nodes with :INTERNET equivalents
registered will cause their FQDN subscribers to be deleted
when the bitnet node is specified in the DEL.

It has been my experience that I usually do NOT have to
issue a DEL * *@bitnode (except for TNEARN because of a backlevel
intermediate mailer).

/Pete