Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 May 1997 11:02:42 +0100
I have a moderated list (Send=Editor), to which I routinely approve
messages using the Resent-From mechanism (retaining the original "From:"
in the message).  This works fine.

I also have an unmoderated list (but with Send=Private). However, I
occasionally have to approve messages on this list too, since some
members are set to REVIEW. I usually do this via the OK mechanism (which
works just fine), but had to use Resent-From recently (I was on vacation
and the OK codes for the articles had expired). Much to my surprise, the
original "From:" address was replaced by *my* address (presumably taken
from "Resent-From:").  I cannot understand why it should work this way,
particular since the Listserv-generated blurb preceding the message when
it is sent to me for approval indicates that one can also edit the
message before approving (implying that the Resent-From mechanism *is*
an appropriate mechanism even for Send=Private lists). It caused no end
of confusion since I approved several pending messages before realizing
what was happening!

Since I routinely use Resent-From successfully on my Send=Editor list,
I'm pretty sure that I'm doing this properly and that neither I nor my
mailer is making this substitution (i.e., that Listserv is).  Any help
or explanations would be appreciated!  I am using Listserv 1.8c on
mitvma.mit.edu.

Thanks.

Shahrukh Merchant
--