"Vosswinkel, Kerry" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:43:26 -0700
I have searched the archives and the Listowner and Maintainer's FAQs and
found lots of people discussing how to stop or filter attachements but
haven't been able to find any discussion of problems where a message
containing an attachment is submitted to the list, and the message is
distributed but the attachment is missing.  It's a very simple list header,
there are no keywords that deal with attachments, and the biggest problem is
that it doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally.  I can send the same
message with the same attachment to a list with an identical configuration
(only many fewer subscribers, since it's a test list) and the attachment
comes through just fine.

The attachments usually are Word documents, and we use Outlook 2000 as an
e-mail client on the two computers that this happened to most recently.  We
use Exchange 5.5 as our e-mail server and have Listserv using it for it's
SMTP server as well.

I have checked the archives of the list in question and it appears that the
attachment was never received by Listserv, but we have no limits on sending
attachments set up in Exchange either.  The problem does not seem to have
anything to do with the size of the attachment.  I do not have many
examples, since we used to be unable to replicate it and so often just put
it down to user error.  However, the most recent instance happened
(naturally) to the college President and I was involved from the moment the
problem occured.  We never did get the attachment successfully distributed,
and resorted to sending the text in the body of the message.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Any recommendations on troubleshooting
methods?

Thanks,

Kerry Vosswinkel
Systems Manager
Fort Lewis College   1000 Rim Drive   Durango CO 81301
ph: 970.247.7345     fax: 970.247.7600