Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:05:34 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 06:39:39 -0400, Dave Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>We recently had a flame war because one listmember feels that
>>"nonattribution" (not signing one's email with your "real life" name) is
>>cowardly

> I think it does depend both on the nature of
>the list, and the preferences of the list's owner.

Another factor to consider is that some hosts and some commercial
services (e.g. Compuserve and Prodigy) assign userID's as
incomprehensible strings of numbers and letters, and AOL allows people to
choose their own cute 'screen-name'.  In these cases, a real name is
unknowable unless the person does sign with it.

I agree though that nature of the list has some bearing, although I
request all of my list members to use a real name.

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]