"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Jul 1994 22:57:58 -0400
Unfortunately, the reason that I happened to read the message was that
I was looking at what happened to a job for which I was a candidate in
the Netherlands. I had even improved my Dutch which is not easy in a
city that has about four hours Dutch radio programming a day and the
occasional movie. Nonetheless, in this age of refugee problems let me
explain the excellent legislation which emerged. The legislation
transfers the focus from women, children and oprhans who tended in the
old system to be the target of deportations imposed by quotas set for
bureaucrats. The new legislation gives those who deserve protection a
better chance of staying and deports those with criminal records who
often preyed upon recent immigrants to Canada. This is a great
improvement in protection for legitimte immigrants and lessens the
threat to law officers who had to contend with people who had
committed violent crimes before entering Canada and continued
committing the same violent crimes afterward posing a real threat to
everyone's personal safety. Actually, this legislation improves the
humanitarian status of legitimate immigrants and refugees. As for the
position in the Netherlands, I now have improved my Dutch and
as Peter Ustinov insists the opportunity which you miss could have led you
astray from an even better one. Perhaps, the government of Canada would
share its new legislation with others facing similar problems. Watch
which key you press and which address is listed!

                        Best regards,

                        Paul.
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]