Tim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Feb 1995 21:52:33 EST
Greetings, Tim Miller here.

I'm not a listowner yet, but hope to be soon. I want to host a LISTSERV or
Majordomo list on the internet, but don't have any corporate access, so will
have to use a PDial provider instead.

I've had some difficulty finding PDial providers that provide LISTSERV or
Majordomo for their subscribers. I've found two that provide Majordomo, but
they didn't meet my other requirements. (These were NETCOM and The World.) The
main problem in both cases was they don't provide slip accounts (or PPP) and
don't support or encourage Macintosh software. (NETCOM has some pretty cool
proprietary software that emulates a slip account, but they don't have a
Macintosh version.) I know I don't need a slip account for a mailing list, but
I would like to be able to access newsgroups and WWW with the same account. I
could probably learn to use a Unix command line interface if I had to, but
would prefer not to.

Above and beyond Majordomo or LISTSERV, I'm looking for reasonable cost, a
northern california area code, slip (or PPP) capability, a reasonable degree
of support for Macintosh software, and a rock-solid, well-established PDial
company likely to still be around twenty years from now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a googolplex.