Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 16:31:05 -0400
>If you want diacritics, like an umlauted e, I'm afraid you're just
>going to have to skip them and stick with lower order ASCII.  That's
>what they do with Russian in books and newspapers.  You're just
>supposed to know which is a "ye" and which is a "yo."  Been doing it
>that way since they've had printing presses.  Too much trouble to ha=
ve
>the extra character when they can use just a plain "e" and leave it =
>the reader to know which it's supposed to be.
>
>Douglas

Hahahahaha.  Y-s, - s-pp-s- -t's - b-t l-k- t-p-ng -n -ngl-sh w-th--t
th- v-w-ls.  ;-)

Seriously though, I once used the VMS SEND command to PUT a file that
contained an 8-bit character that I had forgotten to strip via BITNET=
.=20
It might be necessary to use an option to control the format of the f=
ile
being sent. The character was stored in the filelist but I don't
remember whether it was garbled by any of the steps.  I'm sure that
somebody remembers how this works.  It's easy to check.  Of course, a=
soon as you are using the higher order bit, you also have to worry ab=
out
character set standards.  Should you use LATIN-I, DOS, Mac?  Who will=
 be
using the data?  What software will be used to access it?  These are
rhetorical questions ;-)

Bob  (qui pr=E9f=E8re tout de m=EAme =E9crire avec ses accents)
 Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH            | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum  -----------------------------------=
=20
 http://www.cortland.edu/www/flteach/