"Professor Paul S. di Virgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 15:52:52 -0400

> On Mon, 25 Jul 1994 14:44:00 EDT Jae Walker said:
>
> >and it appears that messages over the length just disappear into the
> >ether.  I sort of expected some kind of "this message is too long"
> >message -- is this right, or is there something we should be doing
> >that we're not?
>
> I have sizelim on my lists, and I get back messages with the notification
> that the file is too large to be posted.  However, the messages seem to
> be sent to out POSTMASTER first (who promptly forwards them to me). Perhaps
> your postmaster is sitting on your messages or doing a quick delete?
>
> I am wondering, though, why the rejection message goes to the postmaster and
> not to the list owner.  Is that just at my site or at others?
> Peace,
> Anthea Tillyer

  Anthea,

         You are probably right as I have had similar experiences:
         some texts were not sent because they were too large; others
         were cut off after so many lines and still others just
         vanished. It is possible that temps had been set up for the
         vanishing texts and I just wasn't fast enough to get to them.
         It seems to be everywhere. I just cut down the size of the
         texts. Many sites have 128K transfer limit which sometimes
         means that recipients can't download larger texts. Sometimes
         it seems to mean that they are also not allowed to receive
         larger texts. -- Paul.

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]