George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 11:00:00 EDT
Hi folks-

Doug Winship asks:

> Does anyone know anything about blkbox.com ?  I've gotten several
> unwelcome messages, fortunately sent only to me rather than the list,
> today.
>
> What I've found so far is that the "host administrator" (and everything
> else) is one Mark K. Newman <[log in to unmask]> and it looks like
> he may be getting his Internet access through Rice U. in Houston
> NS.SESQUI.NET .  Since Rice is a private university, this wouldn't
> be illegal under state law, but the blatantly commercial, and frankly
> rather wierd, nature of the items has me concerned.  The domain name
> blkbox.com also makes me a bit nervous.
>
> Does anyone know anything more?

I just got a double mailing from the RISKS digest -or so it would
appear.  This is not material that the esteemed moderator, who has
just announced the summer slowdown, would ever let through (unless
enclosed in another story of computer risks):

> Date:         Sun, 12 Jun 1994 19:28:47 -0500
> Sender:       Risks List <[log in to unmask]>
> From:         xanim <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Call For Participation
> Comments: To: [log in to unmask]
> To:           Multiple recipients of list RISKS <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Below is a Call For Participation in a general brain base being
> established with the cooperation of numerous individuals involved in
> specialized activities.  We would be very pleased to have further
> representation from your specialty.
>
> Accord Services, Inc., with The Longevity Foundation, is
> establishing an Internet-based archive to record the knowledge
> (perceptions, attitudes, insights) of participating individuals.
> This resource will be used in conjunction with specialized
> software to coordinate creative problem solving for the persons
> themselves as well as to provide innovative solutions for problems
> involving differing groups of people.  All thinking men and women
> are urged to join in this intelligent activity for the purpose of
> improving life on Earth.
  .
  .100 lines of new-age vagueness deleted.
  .
> We must get people thinking together productively, not fighting
> destructively.  I hope that I have gotten it over to you.  Please
> send me your four topics through e-mail ([log in to unmask]).
>
> Xanim

Just what the world needed. I too am curious as to how this is
happening.

-George Buckner, co-owner [log in to unmask]