Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:04:51 -0500
On 7/8/96 8:55 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>In MANY corporations, the decision for
>which software is used for email is made by corporate 'chiefs' and the
>'indians' have ABSOLUTELY no choice in the matter!

Individuals in the trenches may have little influence acting singly, but
bunches usually attract attention.  My experience is that one complaint may
get lost, but it typically only takes a handful of polite "did you know our
mail software isn't Internet compliant" messages before someone looks into
the problem.

You may not get very far with: ccMail makes it hard to keep track of which
mailing list mail came from.  My guess is that you'll get further with:
ccMail doesn't provide the header information we need to filter out junk
mail from bozos peddling body lotion and get rich quick schemes.

The corporate decisions on software standards *usually* are made by someone
that actually uses software.  They don't have a stake in sticking folks
with inefficient, clumsy stuff. It's conceivable that ccMail came "bundled"
with something like Lotus Notes, and the excuse for using it is that it
"looks" like a freebie.

On the other hand, our recently retired IS manager resisted switching to
Eudora on the excuse that "people will find it hard to learn" (not
credible).  The real reason looks more like "Pegasus mail leaves mail on
the server until users specifically delete it... Most users don't bother to
delete old mail...  The server fills up and consequently *we get to request
a bigger server!*"  (imagine that :-)  At least, they don't stop those of
us with sense enough to do so from switching ourselves.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]>      (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html