Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:11:20 -0700
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:33:40 -0600, Michelle Wilbers <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>"Script all messages to AOL list members with a unique identifier to be able
>to identify who
>is reporting the spam. This identifier needs to be inserted into the header
>in such a way as it is not stripped by their TOS Client reporting stuff."

I use the capabilities of LISTSERV and LSMTP's mail-merge to do this, and I
don't put the information into the message headers because this is only
possible for one-way, announce-only lists where you control all messages.
This is not possible with discussion lists.  Note that use of LSMTP is
REQUIRED to accomplish this with LISTSERV.

Add this line to the list header of all affected lists

 Mail-merge= Yes

Then I use this as the bottom_banner on all list messages:

--- cut here ---
.ce ========================================
.fo off
Attn: &*TO;
If you have changed your mind and you no longer want to receive this email,
please follow these UNSUBSCRIBE instructions:

To unsubscribe: send email to
 &LISTNAME-SIGNOFF-REQUEST@&MYHOST
or click here:
 &WA_URL?SUBED1=&LISTNAME&&A=1&&s=&*TO;
--- cut here ---

This produces a personalized banner at the bottom of each email message like
this:

or click here:

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://listserv.besteffort.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DPRV-L&A=1&[log in to unmask]

This bottom banner, being part of the message, is not affected by AOL and
comes through intact in the feedback complaints.  Upon receiving such a
complaint response from AOL I immediately delete the user from all lists on my
server and issue a SERVE OFF DROP command for their address so they can never
attempt to resubscribe.  (The SERVE OFF command requires Site Admin
privileges.)

I also use

 Subscription= by_owner,confirm

for all lists.  The following language appears in the 'Questionnaire' sent to
all prospective subscribers (which they are required to "sign" and send back
in order to subscribe).

-------
You have voluntarily asked to subscribe to this list.  That implies you
understand the kind of email messages posted on this list, and that you
positively confirm that you desire and want to receive such messages.

In the future, you may change your mind and no longer want to receive such
messages.  However, because you REQUESTED to receive messages from this list
originally, you MUST acknowledge and agree that you have an OBLIGATION TO
UNSUBSCRIBE from this list rather than report the list emails as 'spam'
(mail you don't want to receive).  If you do not accept this OBLIGATION,
then please do not confirm this message and please do not complete the
subscription process.

When you falsely report this list's email as 'spam' it causes business
disruption to the server site hosting this list as a _free_ service to
your community.  Further disruptions from such false 'spam' reports may
result in termination of this list for ALL participants.

Please learn the difference between the 'delete' button and the
'report-as-spam' button in your email client program.  Remember the
OBLIGATION you accepted by subscribing here in the first place.  If
you share your email account with others, be certain they clearly
understand not to 'report-as-spam' the list email by mistake!

--------------
This has raised a number of eyebrows and some people think it is unecessarily
draconian.  I have no patience for such people and wish them well subscribing
to lists on some other service.  I have discovered painfully that as few as 2
complaints by AOL users in 1 month may cause AOL to block mail from my server.
This is unacceptable to me.  Other sites may/should adopt practices suitable
to their situation which may well be different.

The second time this blocking by AOL happened, I wrote to all 3,000 or so
subscribers on all of my lists (in a personalized mail-merge message) and
explained that if it happened a 3rd time, I would simply close the server and
remove all lists.  Admittedly, I run lists for free to members of local
volunteer organizations, so I don't have paying customers to contend with.

Nevertheless, I believe that List Subscribers who truly have opted-in, also
have an obligation to opt-out (unsubscribe) when they change their mind about
wanting that list's mail.  I make sure they understand and agree to that
obligation before they are allowed to subscribe to any of the lists I host.

Your 'mileage' may vary...  :-)