Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:26:08 MST
On Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:42:47 -0700 Pat Letendre said:
>I have several subscribers at this address, which was fine until this
>happened. Should I (1) Ignore the problem and wait for it to resolve?
>(2)Set subscribers at this address to NOMAIL for awhile?  (3) Do something
>else?

  I issue     del listname *@bad.place.edu

when I get these.

>What's going on? How come an address suddenly goes bad? I have another
>address(HERN.GWUHP.GWUMC.EDU) from a new subscriber that is getting the
>same error messages. Thanks. Regards. Pat

   Some server is down somewhere.   Ghese things are particularly common
at holiday seasons when staff are gone, or when the staff on duty are
doing major upgrades (thus taking some server down).

  Some are more lenient than this old hardass....but with ten lists to
get this junk from, my policy is delete early, delete often.  I don't
ever do quiet deletes, since if the place has just been fixed, then they
can whine to me about 'what did i do wrong that you took me off the list,
and put me back right now you jerk'.  They get a canned answer that says
the ONLY reason I EVER dump anyone is mailbounces, and to resub at their
convenience.  I don't use nomail for them, since most don't know how to
do it anyway, plus if they don't come back I don't have the sub cluttering
things up.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523