Ingrid Shafer <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:39:15 -0600
eGroups does not provide software to be installed in one's server. eGroups
is a global operation providing a centralized web-based "place" for the
establishment and administration of mailing lists and related operations. One
of the lists to which I subscribe has recently been forced to migrate to
eGroups because Listserv at Amercian University no longer provides that
service.  There have been immediate problems concerning privacy. I am running
a few lists on eGroups and still much prefer Listserv. However, eGroups
clearly beats Majordomo and a couple of other mail-distribution options.  I
can't keep wonderng just how reliable any such profit-by-advertising driven
mega operation can be and how likely the whole enterprise is to crash and
disappear into cyberspace limbo.  At least with Listserv I know where my
archives are phycially located . . .

Ingrid