Tue, 9 Jul 1996 01:44:43 -0500
Some notes on what Pete said:

> 4) have a DIGEST distribution for those who want it

    You may have to set this up explicitly if you don't have archives.

> 9) encourage responders to the list to edit original postings
>    judiciously (or simply use a significant SUBJECT: RE: original subj)

      It won't do any good, but get down on your knees and *beg* that
      your people not  include, every time, the entire text of what
      they are replying to when using their handy "auto-reply" button.
      At least edit out the enormous sigs.  We've got five and a
      half years of archives for one list; had I the time and energy
      to do it I could probably cut the disk space use for it in half
      simply by getting rid of the totally pointless quotes.

> 12) encourage survey requests to have responses sent directly
>     to the surveyor who then should summarize the results and
>     make them available to the subscribership (perhaps via
>     list distribution, file stored in the list's archives, FTP,
>     WEB, etc)

      For us, these frquently come from "non-subscribers" so they
      come to me for approval.  I often add a Reply-to: field to
      them to be sure people don't inadvertently reply to the list.
       (Generally, we want people to reply to the list; they *are*
        intended as professional field discussion lists after all.)

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L