"Doug.Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Oct 1992 15:18:00 EDT
>You'll probably get a "million" of these ... :-))

>Hello -- I am seeing bizarre messages and bounces coming out of
>clvax1.cl.msu.edu -- (1) utterly personal messages between students on this
>computer are appearing on ecolog-L (I think inadvertently since some include
>a degree of obscenity that might be reasonable among individuals speaking
>privately to each other, but which would not likely be used in a public
>posting), (2) a note to the student posting one of the personal notes bounced
>as undeliverable, (3) bounced mail between people at this computer is showing
>up on my incoming mail, and (4) replies to a faculty colleague with an
>address on this machine are bouncing.  I tried forwarding some of this
>traffic to postmaster at this machine, but it all bounced.  Neither verify
>nor finger worked to identify an individual responsible for the machine.  I
>finally wrote to Lewis Greenberg who's listed in NIC as the Admin Contact for
>Mich State but have not received any reply. Copmments or suggestions anyone?
>Thanks.
>
>-- Phil Sollins (owner ots-L)

>| Phillip Sollins             <[log in to unmask]>   |
>| Associate Professor         <[log in to unmask]>       |
>| Forest Science Dept.        <[log in to unmask]>|
>| Oregon State Univ.           Tel: 503-737-6582            |
>| Corvallis, OR 97331-5705     Fax: 503-737-1393            |

These problems should be resolved now.  I don't know the exact nature
of the system problems on clvax1, but a reboot seems to have taken care
of it.  (Dr.) Lewis Greenberg is the Director of the Computer
Laboratory; he did forward some messages of this nature to several of
us; I don't know if it included your specific complaint.  Mark Riordan
([log in to unmask]) is the manager of this system.

In any case, let us know if you're still seeing problems with this
system.

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager (and technical contact for msu.edu)
Computer Laboratory
Michigan State University