Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:38:59 -0600
> Lefty mentioned an "Apparently-To:" header.  I don't think I've ever
> noticed it before.
>
> Can anyone give a brief explanation of the way this header would arise and
> how it is useful?

I asked a local guru that question several years ago.  I can't give you
the specific technical details, but the gist of what he told me is that
it happens when a message arrives with a corrupted header.  Say, for
example, the 'o' is missing from 'To'.  The software looks through the
headers, recognizes those that are normal, and decides that maybe that
one that says just 'T' is really the 'To' line.  But it indicates that
that's just a guess by adding the "Apparently-To" part.  (I'm sure the
techies can explain this *much* better than I can.)

I was happy to see that somebody at UGA served off the spammer before
he spammed my two listserv lists there.  He did spam smoke-free, my
listproc list here at msstate.edu.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])