Greg Dietrich <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 03:15:30 -0400

> Ben Parker Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:47:10 -0600
> You can't.  This is a known disadvantage of using sub-lists. [...]

I knew I'd over-enthused about super-lists to my users when I asked the same
question last year in one or another of these forums and heard... crickets.

The perception of convenience for List Owners is unbounded but there is a
price to be paid in terms of tracking and reporting, and subscriber management;
particularly if super lists are used as they are in my workplace: for infrequent
large email "blasts" to lists of recipients numbering in the tens of thousands.

Eventually, I published a warning on our (internal) web site in an effort to dampen
enthusiasm and revised the bottom banner code to differentiate between regular and
super-list posts. The HTML output provides a clickable e-mail link that comes close
to automating the unsubscribe process when attached to a regular list. Super-lists,
likewise, allow us to help the client break his mail addiction by using only his
index finger and imperceptible tiny movements over a plastic object. It's just click,
send, and the problem becomes... ours.

My larger clients have Outlook redirect incoming unsubscribe requests to a folder
dedicated to sign-offs (if Subject line= "Unsubscribe superlistname (s)" move here.)
Staff then do the housekeeping needed to clear the folder: Query * for userid@domain,
Quiet Delete listname | * etc. or via Subscriber's Corner. That's our workaround.

Unsubscribe requests mailed to us as a result of a regular post are directed to
LISTSERV, not the Owner, and are removed automatically, after confirmation.

.*
.* If sub-lists NOT null, this is super-list ELSE free-standing or sub-list
.*
.bb &KWD(SUB-LISTS,1) Ø= ''
  Send mailto:&KWD(OWNER,1) with the subject line: Unsubscribe &LISTNAME (s)
.else
  Send mailto:&LISTNAME-unsubscribe-request@&MYHOST
.eb

Figure 1. Code excerpt from plain text banner. Super-list or no super-list?

.bb &KWD(SUB-LISTS,1) Ø= ''
    To be removed from this mailing list, please:
.else
    To be removed from this mailing list, please:
.eb

Figure 2. Code excerpt from HTML banner. Super-list or no super-list?

You'll note that we cheated the plain text version, running "mail" and "to:"
together as they are in HTML. Our "mistake" was recognized by a number of mail
clients and they responded by presenting a nice clickable mail link for the user.
Correct syntax resulted in a cut/paste plain text e-mail address.

California State Controller's Office          Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:17:28
and ask to be removed from future mailings.

Thank you!

Figure 3. Plain text version of banner, archived with a super-list post.

* * *

 Greg Dietrich
 SCO ListServ Administrator
 Office of the State Controller