Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Russell Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Sep 2018 20:52:33 +0000
text/plain (18 lines)
I'd try setting up another list, as Joe suggests,  if I had direct access, but every new list goes through an approval process and I probably couldn't do it, as I'm listowner by courtesy. I've run this list for 20 years, but a few years ago the university hosting it decided only faculty members there could own lists. We found someone to be the authorized owner, and I have access because I'm the only one we could find who was interested in maintaining the list.
	> Solving (or even correctly identifying) these is not always straightforward.  
	> I recall a lot of owners and admins threw in the towel when the mail header problem came up. 
	> And not without reason.  If resolution is not possible (can happen) do what you can to 
	> notify the subscribers of the problem.  
That's the problem, really. Subscribers still on the list don't _have_ the problem; I don't have any way to find out who's been bounced in order to contact them. Most people who've been bounced would never know (until, perhaps, they tried to post; it's a Send=Private list). And it's not particularly active -- currently a couple of dozen posts a month -- and people wouldn't realize they were off.

The list was begun, sometime a bit earlier than 1991, as a mainly discussion list, but in recent years has become pretty much all announcements -- calls for papers, job adverts, publication and conference announcements. I'm beginning to think that LISTSERV may no longer be the appropriate software (and the university hosting it might not object to losing it; I suspect it's the only one running on their server that extends internationally, and I also suspect it's something of a PITA).

-- Russ

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2