Ginny Fiero <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 16:12:09 -0400
I wonder if someone can tell me about the capacity of a SUN
box with Solaris 2.4 that would be needed to manage many lists
where a bunch might have thousands of subscribers.

I don't have many details to impart, just a request from our
Commissioner to be able to have e-mail discussion lists for
various groups of users, from specific teams of workers to all
the teachers (with email addresses) in NYS.  I know that part of
the purpose is for the commissioner to notify people of new
standards, legislation, etc. pertaining to education.  That one
way communication is one thing, but also mentioned was a
mechanism for teachers to provide feedback (could be done by
email to a general-purpose mailbox, administered by a small
group of users) and to communicate with each other in regards
to curriculum, etc (could be a lot of people and a lot of talk!).

We do not currently have a two-way list of significant size or
activity to compare with.  We have one one-way list used to
broadcast announcements relating to the Department with a
couple thousand members (if work here and have email, you're
a member - users don't subscribe themselves to the list).

Any help or advice is appreciated and welcome!

Ginny Fiero, Systems Programmer
NYS Education Department - 566 EBA
ph. (518)486-1912
e-mail: [log in to unmask]