Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:46:52 -0500
Stan Ryckman wrote:

> One way: make an "auto-editor" on a UNIX shell account on a system where
> procmail can be used.  An appropriate procmail recipe could identify requests
> for confirmation when received from LISTSERV, decide whether to automatically
> approve them or not (based on criteria you set up), and reply with the
> appropriate approvals, holding any others for you to look at.

Yes, this is my fallback plan for automation. A date/time stamp would be
included in the body at the bottom of the message and written to a special
file on the web server. The "Editor" script (also running on the web
server) would receive the "OK" confirmation request from LISTSERV, check
for the valid date/time stamp and, if it was found, reply the "OK" with the
proper code number, and delete the date/time stamp from the special file on
the web server. The only way anyone could possibly get around this would be
to include a date time stamp in their forged message that was the same as
one that existed on the server and they'd have to (somehow) do that before
the genuine message arrived.  In order to do that, they'd need to split
seconds and beat the legitimate message.  I still think this is something
that LISTSERV should do. After all, we can replace the entire list header
with just a password, no? Why cannot I post to a list with just a password?
It's a rhetorical question.

For the moment, I am going to use a human Editor.

Thanks

Mark