Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 13:13:13 PST
On Fri, 2 Dec 1994 15:27:13 EST, W. K. (Bill) Gorman <34AEJ7D@CMUVM> wrote:
>The attached message was recently sent by the Listserv to an entire list
>via the list address (not to individual subscribers).
>
>It strikes me that this is not a Good Thing(tm).
>
>Anyone know what is going on or why this is happening?

A 'CONFIRM EQUINE-L' command was sent to 'LISTSERV@PSUVM',
apparently from the ID [log in to unmask]

Get the system-programmers at PSUVM to check the mailer-logs,
and the SMTP-logs, in order to determine the true source of the E-mail,
i.e., whether it was a "spoofed" piece of E-mail.

The LISTSERV server generated the response ("Output of your job ...").

It E-mailed the response to the ID specified in the 'FROM:' tag
which was found in the incoming E-mail.

Since that ID was 'EQUINE-L@PSUVM', LISTSERV selected the "posting".

It "distributed" the message to all the non-NOMAIL subscribers
of that mailing-list.