Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 15:48:00 EST
Couldn't find anything in the documentation, even though this must
surely be a commonplace situation.  First of all, let me state my
current understanding, based on information I've gleaned from this list
in the past months.

1. Mail sent to an edited list is, I understand, forwarded to the
   first-listed editor for approval.  Presumably there is some kind of
   preamble from listserv.
2. The editor then needs to resend this to listserv with the following
   changes (either using a mailer that does this automatically with a
   "resend" command, or otherwise manually):
   a. Strip off listserv's preamble
   b. Retain original sender's headers, including "From:" line, and
      add header "Resent-From: <editor's address>".  Presumably the
      mailer will also add a "Sender:" line (is this used by listserv?).
3. Listserv validates the message by checking that either the "From:"
   or "Resent-From:" field contains the e-mail address of one of the
   editors OR one of the owners, and forwards the message to members of
   the list if it does.

My questions are:

1. Is the above correct?  Where can I find more complete documentation
   on how it works?
2. My organization's gateway will insist on rewriting "From:" lines
   to the actual sender (me, in this case), rather than putting it in
   the "Sender:" line.  (The true "From:" line gets put into a header
   called "Original-From:".)  Assume that, whether or not this is RFC822-
   compliant, I cannot change this or influence its change, since it is
   not my local mailer but the organization's gateway that's doing this.
        It would appear then, if my understanding of listserv's
   processing of approved messages is correct, that *every* message
   resent by me would appear to have been originated by me, which I
   obviously don't want.
        What I need is a mechanism that retains the original header
   information (in particular the "From:" line), by yet is immune to
   the kind of header-meddling that my gateway does.  E.g., if the
   original message (header and all) were part of the *body* of the message
   sent to the editor, then the editor could mail it back, and a simple
   demarcation line before the start of the "real" message would allow
   listserv to strip off all the editor's headers (after authenticating
   it) and distribute the original sender's message with headers intact.
   I believe majordomo does something like this.
        Well, I got a little long-winded with the description of my problem,
   but the question is, "Given my environment, how can I be the editor
   of a list and have the original senders' addresses show up properly?"

Thanks.

Shahrukh Merchant