Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:00:56 -0400
>A subscriber's ISP is bouncing list mail to me, apparently because the
>hop-count in their MTA (which is -- if I'm reading the headers below
>correctly -- Microsoft's SMTPSVC) is set too low.
>
>Sysadmin at the ISP doesn't appear to be quite up to speed on their
>software, so any details on which config file needs to be changed in
>their MTA would be appreciated.
>
>A kludge fix would be for me to strip all the "received ..." headers
>during the message approval process, but I believe it would be cleaner
>for the ISP to bump the hop-count setting.
>
>TIA for any suggestions, and sorry for the marginally off-topic post.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but maybe you'll find it
useful anyways.

One option would be to set the subscriber(s) at the site to SHORTHDR,
which I believe was introduced to combat this problem.  Note that a
user cannot be set to SHORTHDR and SUBJECTHDR at the same time and
that SHORTHDR may remove some things from the headers, which may (for
instance) prevent the user's email client from properly recognizing
attachments in mailing list messages.

Good luck,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support