Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:01:57 -0500
This is a connected comment (and request for clarification) involving two of
the suggestions offered, and a third contribution on them:

From: "Rich Greenberg" <[log in to unmask]>

> No need to give EDITOR to subscribers.  Just use * Send = Private
> People on REVIEW get moderated, the rest post directly.

This won't work for us; we're an international standards working group, and
have to allow some path by which outsiders can also offer comment.

From: "Ben Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

> For Ver 14.4 do it this way:
>
> Send= Public,confirm,non-member  (This is new in ver 14.3 and 14.4)
> Default-Options= Review          (this is required to interact with above)
> Editor= [log in to unmask]

You interest me strangely. Does this work the same way with 14.3? (From the
manuals, it looks as though it should, but I'd like to be clear on that
before I put my lists through the change.)

From: "Wayne T Smith" <[log in to unmask]>

> (1) Though it may not be obvious, this works as if "Hold" were
> specified.  Strangely, one may *not* specify "Hold" in this syntax.

But it doesn't hold up subscribers' posts, unless they're set to REVIEW,
right?

> (6) This syntax is a poor substitute for the Kludge when one wants to
> allow new subscribers to post, but moderate non-subscribers.
> Essentially, "Default-Options=" has been overloaded.

Fortunately, this is just the level of defense I need. I want to review new
subscribers' first posts, unless they've been subscribed long enough that I
figure they aren't looking for an opportunity to spam us. (I generally
review that after one of our periodic storms of activity.)

Hal Keen