Rob Woiccak <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 19:40:11 -0400
Also sprach [log in to unmask] (Dan Kanagy):

>I think I'm correct that the problem isn't with the list, but I don't
>know enough about the situation to provide an authoritative answer. I
>realize this is likely an elementary problem, but I would appreciate
>it if someone would be able to explain to me how the "Sender" and
>"From" fields should be used properly so that one can post to LISTSERV
>lists.

sender: indicates the agent who delivered the message. from: indicates
the person who composed it (not to be confused with smtp from, which is
a different beast).

in most cases, sender: and from: will be the same, since the person who
writes a message is also, in effect, the agent who delivers it.

in the case of (properly configured) mailing lists, sender: should have
the listowner's administrative address, since the server (whether
listserv, majordomo or whatever) is the agent delivering the message.
from: will remain the address of the author.

that said, your problem most likely stems from a difference between the
address in the from: header and the address that the person is
subscribed to the list as. for instance, [log in to unmask] and
[log in to unmask] are functionally equivalent (mail to either address
will reach me), but not identical in the eyes of mailing list software.

this is a common problem with two solutions:

1) change the subscription from the address in the list to the address
in from: header.

2) subscribe both addresses and set one of them nomail.

the former is cleaner, but the latter is sometimes necessary if the
from: address varies from phase of the moon to phase of the moon (an
unfortunate, but common, problem).

_O_ rob woiccak